Thursday 15 September 2016

Camera Workshop

In the camera workshop I learnt the features of a HD Canon camera in preparation for filming my short film. I put the knowledge which I learnt from this workshop to use and took many shots. I also practiced tracking shots, pan, arc and many other shots. This gave me a clearer insight into what filming my short film will be like and how these shots will enhance my film. As well as this, it also got me familiar with the equipment such as tripod and dolly, which will ensure that my filming will be smooth and will produce a clearer product.

Things I learnt from the workshop:
  • Whilst in the camera workshop, I quickly came to find that the proximity of characters had to be closer than usual. This is because the distance of characters does not correlate to real life and it comes across as further away. In order to solve this, I positioned my actors to be closer together and to appear in the frame as they would in person. 
  • In the camera workshop we experimented with over the shoulder shots and how they should be positioned in the shot.  I learnt that using rule of thirds made the shot look more professional and effective and also not wasting space in the background. I was able to make the viewer to be in the "point of view" position.  
  • When filming, I noticed that starting the scene would have to be 3-5 seconds in after pressing the record button. This is because you need to leave yourself room when filming as it allows more cutting time and allowance. This leaves you with a professional finish and clean cuts. 
  • To apply variation to your shots, I enabled that using a range of angles and camera shots it will enhance your final product as well keep it advanced.
  • When filming I will ensure that I take plenty of shots and footage. This will make my editing easier as I will have shots to choose from and editing will come more natural as you have multiple takes of the same frame. 
  • I also learnt about the importance of how you use the tripod and dolly.  Hand held shots can look messy and unorganised; unless that is the effect you strive for. So with  the tripod, the camera is held still. The dolly makes the filming glide without any bumps etc;.
  • Lastly, I learned that when doing an over the shoulder shot, you have to film on the right of each character. This was because the shot will look out of place and it would be most effective on the right. 
  • High angle shots will highlight vulnerability on a character and low angle shots will create dominance for a character. 
  • The rule of thirds is an important feature when it comes to filming/taking photographs. This is because the appearance of a shot is highly important. This means the positioning and proxemics between characters is determined by the rule of thirds.
  • As well as this, I also learnt that head room is severely important. This is because you should leave enough space above a persons head when filming etc;. 
  • Looking/walking room is important as well. This is because you should leave space before someone when walking and talking. This is because it needs to look like they're walking/talking into a space rather than away from it.
  • The lighting is very important when filming and taking photos. Use the light to your advantage. Also consider when you film depending on weather. - This is a vital thing to remember when you need to go back to the same place on another day to re shoot some footage.  





----This tracking shot and arc shot was done in our camera workshop group. Although this was done as a group we learned how to properly use the camera and the logistics of filming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment